Saturday, February 20, 2010

Catch Up, Lent? and Chosen

Well things have been moving right along here....Been awhile since I've posted so here it is:

We have recently transitioned to 12 hour shifts. The work really is not so bad, we have more officers on the street on any given day, and we have sort work weeks....which equals more days off. I personally work the night shift...which is the way I like it.

As for family, we've settled into our new place. Its not bad, though a little smaller, and I totally miss my garage...but it's plenty for us.

The girls are growing up too fast...they are in diving and are excelling. I never even knew diving existed in our area...but I enjoy going to practices and watching them improve.

Gina had her surgery to repair her thumb...she tore a ligament and had to go under the knife - that was scary, but she's recovering nicely.

I'm FINALLY working out again. Thanks to Gina, I have a TRX hanging in the spare room. This thing is fantastic...you really feel it from the first rep...I'm kind of doing a modified beginner's thing right now...I don't quite have the stability to do a one legged squat just yet....so I'm doing it as a two legged...small change for now, but I'm working my way up.

Also, I'm working on my cardio...REALLY wanting to run, but the weather has been horrible....

Along with training, I working on getting my nutrition back intact...a few friends of mine have been talking about what they are "giving up for lent." As a youngster, I was raised Catholic, so I'm fully familiar with the concept. For anyone who isn't, a person is supposed to sacrifice something - anything -for the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter. This is usually accompanied by not eating "meat" on Fridays....rather, you are allowed/supposed to eat fish.

I never quite understood this practice, and then again, it was never really explained to be either. So as sit here, I tried to look up the origin and/or meaning of this lenten practice. Unfortunately, I found widespread information that spans from pagan rituals to man made justifications to Biblical reasonings.....so, I am still confused.

But what I do know is: that fasting should be done as a way of depriving the body/self, and opening up to receive the Spirit of God - to hear his voice. This is a practice to be done when a person is feeling distant from Father..or is yearing from direction....as opposed a schedule or appointment.

Moving on...

So also in a way of preparation of sorts, I feel that I need to get my nutrition in sync with my training...as I've decided to participate in the Chosen: Marathon for Adoption in Oct.'10 www.marathonforadoption.com. I've wanted to do a marathon for a couple of years now...and I'm very excited about doing my first for a good cause AND at the first marathon to be held in my home town of New Braunfels! Pointers, advice, comments, and encouragment are welcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment